Getting the glass “right” has taken some attempts. I have now, in total done four groups of firing: two at 865 and two at 875. I have changed the time of soaking, experimented with glass from different sources, the amounts of it I have used and also the thinness of them; kept thinking about “the smaller the better” that I hadn’t actually thought about having different sizes.
At 865 (held for 35 minutes) the glass fused but not enough. On the back of the glass (the bit against the mould) I got some nice textures but because it hadn’t been fused properly then the top looked very rough.
At 875 (held for 35 minutes) the glass crystallized.
At this time. My favourite result have been 865 (held for 50 minutes) and 875 (held for 15 minutes).
However, the last firing (which is still in the kiln) has been really difficult. Counting today, it has been fired three times. Wanted to put it in last Friday. Because I had to go and somebody has some work still in the kiln, Martin gave me a hand and put it in. I went into uni on Saturday to do some work and check on the glass. The glass had been on the wrong program. At 765.
The top of the glass actually fused, the back of it wasn’t so much.
I put it back in the kiln yesterday. Thought I had chosen the program I normally use but went in this morning to find the glass in the same state I had left it. Don’t really know what happened there.
It is in again.
Hope for good results tomorrow.
– – – –
I was looking for a way of seeing how the glass worked with the light behind (without me holding it). This was to consider how the distance between the bulb and the shade would affect the way the light looked.
For this, I made a simple lampshade of paper. I cut out spaces to put the glass behind and taped it.
I used the front of some and the back of others.