Working on the designs for the actual lamps has strangely become a second thing.
I have been concentrating so much on the actual material that I have not invested as much time on the designs.
– – – –
I have made some lampshade mould out of clay, with the intention of slumping the glass on them. This was my first thought.
After speaking to some of my lecturers, they recommended that for this first term I kept it simple. Using the sheets of glass I had been making rather than slumping the glass on other moulds.
My aim is to show how this glass works.
So I started thinking of ways to make this happen. Keeping it simple.
An idea I had for one of the lamps, was reflecting stained glass works. I planned to “wrap” the glass piece in tin slate (recycled from bean tins) and then solder it. The problem I had with doing is is that because the glass is not perfectly square and smooth (straight) then it is difficult to tightly wrap the tin around it. They didn’t look very professional and I had to do something else.
– – – –
Using the example of the shade I made using paper (to see how the glass worked) my lecturers recommended using the same style but changing the material.
What other material could I use instead of paper?
Thought concrete would be better since it is a bit more sturdy.
So I gave it a go.
Made a mould using some cardboard I had. I had seen videos and they showed it worked well.
Because it wasn’t what I was looking for, I got some cement to try.
Worked a lot better as a material because it’s a lot smoother than the concrete.
Used the same cardboard moulds I had used the first time. Because the mix had to be more watery (the first pour I tried doing dried as soon as it touched the mould, not giving me a lot of time to get it in all of the mould), the cardboard only lasted one use. Having to make a specific mould for each use made it non-viable.
Also, the paper was difficult to get off the cement. However I do like the way it looked.
I also thought, I should try to pour the square (that is going to be the shade) in one mould; instead of having to then work out a way of binding the four parts.
Ingrid mentioned looking at Terrazzo. I like the idea of having the light come through the aggregates. But that is something to work out over the holidays.