In this post I’ll go over the work I’ve been doing. The finished work and most of the context work will be in another post. So things are not so long.
— — — —
Last term I designed and started making a garden chair made of pallets. This term, being away from Cardiff presented some difficulties in the part of making but at the same time some greater advantages in the parts of THINKING.
Instead, I have been working on a furniture catalogue with a few designs. The designs are simple and practical, they work around being sustainable. That is my aim. The materials and processes influence the designs.
In my dissertation, I will write about sustainable design; it is something I am very interested in and would possibly like to work with it in the future. Due to my circumstances, I am working on the catalogue rather than the furniture themselves. Next year, for my final piece I will be producing one of the items on the catalogue.
For the making of the catalogue I had an idea whilst watching The Grand Budapest Hotel.
I thought I could work layers out for it and make it look nice. With sketches, images of the mocks I have made and lots of paper.So when I started thinking about the catalogues and how I wanted them to look and what I wanted them to communicate, I started a Pinterest folder. Just to keep things in order.
— — —
I started getting some ideas. I started by looking at examples of catalogues to try to present mine (sort of) professionally but yet hand made. The layout, the colours, the information, the photographs, the fonts, the different types of everything I could think of. Here are some of the ones that helped me make a more clear picture in my head.
I thought about making something like this on one of the pages. Setting the maquettes I have made to look as real as possible and taking photos of them. I think they might help give a more accurate vision of what the furniture would look like in its surroundings.
I have looked at different shapes to make the catalogue and also information that should be included regarding for example materials or other options available with the item.
I have had a look at more commercial furniture companies like Ikea, Clas Ohlson and Habitat. Also looked at independent places like Home by Kirsty (Cardiff),
Other pages that have also helped me:
Houzz – http://www.houzz.it/?irb=1
Home Adore – https://homeadore.com/
— — — —
So I started playing on my sketchbook…
Something I wanted to include in the catalogues was recycled paper. I was trying to give better used to the pile of paper I had here. I have accumulated as much paper as I possibly have in the previous 25 years of my life!
Loads of paper… nice paper. Others not so much. But all mainly from galleries, museums and the bits of Biennale I have visited.
Meanwhile.. I planned and tested on the sketchbook…
I am all for recycling and upcylicng. However, the quality of something should not be compromised. That is something I have understood.
I am saying this because yes, I wanted to include some recycled paper; but I also want the catalogue to look professional; this is something I couldn’t fully achieve using recycled paper.
The process of making these has been quite long. I have worked in the catalogues: glueing two sides of brown paper to make them stronger, making the reclycled paper, cutting, shaping and sawing all together. The designs and mocks have taken the longest time.
I kept working the ideas I had on the first term (of the garden unit/chair). I had the idea of making this unit because I have not really seen anything like it. Sure, I have seen garden furniture that will protect you from the elements, but not like a self contained little cocoon. I have worked them in detail on paper (processes, materials and where to get them locally, products like finishes and paints, dimensions, uses, making them customizable, problems that I could encounter in the making of the actual item, etc)
As working them on paper, I also worked on making the mocks. Cut strips of cereal boxes of 1cm. Cardboard is relatively easy to work with and also widely available + RECYCLABLE. For the first maquette, I used some on the glue I made. The glue works (or dries) wonders on paper, but in this case it was one of those situations were using the type of stuff didn’t produce the best results. The glue wasn’t strong enough so it had to be made again using some regular white glue. I tried to use the glue I made, because I wanted all processes to be as reflective of the concept as possible.
Here are photos of the 3 finished books. I decided to make 3 separate catalogues. Although I think I will have them all together (in a bigger book)
Link to the Pinterest board:
MORE TO COME