The deadlines are fast approaching, so I will start to publish what I have been working on and the journey to coming to it.
I started working on this medal before I came to Italy. I was making them out of crushed recycled bottles which I fused in a kiln. I made a few for testing. For some I used the end of the bottle as main body, then I cut out bits of aluminium cans and put them on the bottles to then cover with crushed glass. For other ones, I made the shape out of clay and did the same with the aluminium and glass.
I was happy with the results, but they were only tests. I ran out of time to keep working with them.
So, whilst being here, I re-worked my ideas.
The idea behind it is that it would be a medal awarded to people who acquire any of the furniture in the catalogue (second project). For this, I’d have to make a series of medals. One to be given representing different materials and processes used in the making of the furniture.
Last week, in the Mosaic lesson I managed to put some more medals in the kiln.
I decided to do two things together: learn the second mosaic technique and mix it with the medal project. For the second technique, the mosaic pieces are crushed and put over copper. The piece goes then in the kiln to fuse.
The problem I have with them is that the colours (that were left in the room) were dark. Blue, green and grey. Normally the fused pieces tend to go on a darker tone. I’m guessing it has to be a reaction to the heat. I knew that but couldn’t afford to buy a whole bag of mosaic pebbles to use it only for one project (I am trying to be careful with the weight I am taking back…and they are heavy).
The second pair of medals, are made with recycled glass. I had tried this back in Cardiff. The only difference is that there I can have the whole kiln for my pieces, therefore I can adjust the temperature as needed.
If well I think these have potential, they needed to go in a higher temperature to really fuse.
Something that I have been trying to change when making the medals is the process (of using the kiln). I would like to find a process that could match the purpose of the medals a little more.
For example, instead of fusing the glass in the kiln; I made some glue at home and tried to trap glass and other bit in it. The glue didn’t dry quick enough. Since sugar was one of the ingredients in the glue, the ants (are in season) went crazy for it.
The second medal has to be made using any material technologies (like 3D printed or laser cut). I am still trying to figure out how to make it work, since the university in Italy does not have the same equipment we do in Cardiff.
The medals would come in these:
I am currently working on the back of the medals. I would like the person who owned the medal to have the possibility to hang them. I am also working on where to place a message to come with it.