I have been terrible for blogging this year (not that I was a lot better last year)
I AM GOING TO VENICE!! And that is so very exciting! I have now booked my flight and accommodation, so that is off my mind and gives me more capacity to concentrate on other things such as finishing the two Subject projects before I leave.
The medal is going very good. I have just put a set of bottle ends in the kiln to flatten them out. At the moment I am testing some things, because I have an idea of what I would like the finish project to look, but don’t entirely know how I’m going to make it happen.
I don’t know if I have mentioned this before. So for the first Subject project (making a medal) I decided to work with recycled materials. At the moment I am working with glass and aluminium. I have cut the glass bottles using the same technique I have used before: temperature shock!
To be more precise, I have used strings of wool (I tried cotton string but wool burns better) dipped in nail varnish remover (because it is flammable) and tied around the end of the bottle. The problem I found with this, which I didn’t have in previous occasions, was that I was trying to cut around the end of the bottle and because of the placing of the string, the bottom got really hot too. So when I submerged the hot bottle in the ice cold water a lot of the times it cracked rather than cut clean.
Still.. I got some results. Because I had to move the string further up the bottle, Martin (TD) suggested that I fused the bottles to flatten before continuing with the work. So this is in progress. I should be able to see them tomorrow morning.
In the mean time, I am thinking about possible uses for the aluminium cans.
Ps. I was trying to find some of the photos I took. But I couldn’t. Will post some when I do find it